Richard is a tactical thinker who excels in complex, multifaceted environments. He is adept at addressing difficult issues and tenacious in finding workable solutions. Richard is an active listener who builds understanding and insight and brings a calming presence to all situations. A trained coach and mentor, Richard works with staff, management and boards of directors to ensure cross-organizational alignment and engagement to achieve organizational goals.
- Initiated the first market-based strategy for Nipissing University that reversed a multi-year decline in enrollment. Created a unique resolution of reporting to meet transparency to government and media while protecting donor confidentiality.
- Innovative reorganization of the North American operations of Venture Electronics Inc. ($ 500 million in sales).
- Directed the financial administration of Scott Hospitality Inc., (TSX) food services division with sales of $500 million. Responsible for the design and execution of internal and external (TSX) reporting, including corporate preparation of budget and tax compliance reporting.
- Managed merger and disclosures of mining companies with subsequent IPO on TSX Venture Exchange
- Rover Communications Inc. was a cellular start-up featuring monthly mobile services at $14.95 per month. As a founding shareholder, Richard developed a successful strategy to attract investors and achieve Spectrum licensing.
- Deloitte Chartered Accountants, Toronto office.
- Scott Hospitality Inc., TSX company. Director of Finance.
- Onley and Company Chartered Accountants.
- Nipissing University, Board of Governors.
- Nipissing University, Vice President of Finance and Administration.
- Interim CFO for the Upper Canada District School Board
- CPA CA
- Certified Board Governance Consultant with Govern for Impact (formally International Policy Governance Association)
- Governance Leadership Certification from the Centre for Leadership Studies, Master of Leadership and Management Program
- Professional Education Committee for Govern for Impact (formally International Policy Governance Association)
- Board Member Special Olympics, Member Governance Committee
- Canadian Securities Course qualified
- Ontario Board Member Muskoka Conservancy
- Past Member Lieutenant Governors Ontario Aboriginal Forum
- Disney Executive Leadership Program
- Executive and team mentoring and coaching
- Rotary District Treasurer
- Nipissing University Board Member
- Master of Leadership and Management (2020)