Operations & Project Management
A results oriented and collaborative leader with a multi-national and multi-sector operations background. David is a successful project manager with large company asset management experience. His customer stewardship and clear thinking brings order to chaos and focuses on deploying organization strategies to enable new growth and sustainability. A team builder and coach, he actively applies technology across disciplines and builds engagement at all levels in organizations. He is shareholder-focused, quality-driven and is comfortable in all business settings.
- Built and led a large operations portfolio at the University of British Columbia comprised of independent ancillary and service unit businesses valued at $75M in annual revenue, $200M in asset worth, $30M in annual capital project scope and $300M in goods and services procurement; delivered improved ancillary net income, customer experience and annual expense savings in excess of $25M annually.
- Led Board “governance improvement” projects at several large public sector organizations. Project management and facilitative leadership skills were used to assess, develop and coach change in board structure, membership and operating discipline to improve board performance and engagement.
- Sponsored and managed strategic capital building and operations projects at UBC. Work was focused on redesigning and building new supporting infrastructure to meet growing demands for students, staff and faculty. Projects included a new 1600 car parking garage, large food service venues and readying the campus for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. Strong communications and facilitative leadership skills were used to develop, plan and execute these projects to successful conclusions in a public sector environment.
- Won North American recognition for implementing new Dow quality systems and business technologies (SAP Enterprise Resource Planning Systems).
- Responsible for restoring Corona Beer brand profitability and revenue growth in Western Canada. This key business goal required strong negotiation tactics with both Mexican production and distribution partners and successfully laid a strong foundation for future brand growth in Canada.
- Launched and subsequently managed North American Mike’s Hard Lemonade supply chain. Success rested on establishing strong production and distribution points across Canada and the US and managing more than 400 US distributors and 10 Liquor Control Boards in Canada. The US launch was completed ahead of schedule, on budget and firmly established the refreshment beverage category in the US.
- The Osborne Group
- Noblegen Inc/Trent University – Interim Executive Leadership role
- Lakehead University – Governance Project Management – Board of Governors
- Leisureworld Retirement Corp – Business Strategy Development
- Canadian Diabetes Association – Operations Audits
- Mount Dennis Family Health Team – Practice Relocation and Consolidation Project
- University of British Columbia – Associate VP, Business Operations
- University Neighborhood Association – UBC appointed Board Member
- Special Olympics Ontario – Chair, Toronto Council
- Mark Anthony Group – Supply Chain Manager
- Dow Chemical Canada – Project Engineer, Site Utilities Supervisor and Canadian Area Marine Manager
- B.Sc. Engineering – Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario – Registered Member
- University of Toronto, Rotman School of Management – Financial Leadership, and NFP Governance Essentials