Public Sector & NFP Project Management
An experienced public-sector executive, Bob Cooke has a passion for working with not-for-profit organizations and all levels of government in a wide variety of areas such as: strategic planning, organizational design, board governance, service system planning, program research, operational reviews and community consultations. He has a reputation for analyzing complex and sensitive issues and situations, especially in the social services and health sectors, and coming up with solutions.
Bob has direct experience in the design and delivery of government programs, including needs assessments, financial and client/applicants information systems, operational planning strategic planning, community consultations, developing planning frameworks; needs assessments; overseeing research projects; design; organizational design; business process planning; not to mention an extensive project management background.
- Lead Executive, Homelessness File – Bob Cooke has many years of executive-level experience with the province of Ontario in the fields of services to low income adults, people with disabilities and older adults. His detailed and practical knowledge of the various service systems for these client groups was recognized when he was named to be the Lead Executive for the province on the homelessness file. Directed the co-ordination of government strategies and designed an innovative program that moves the homeless off the streets and into shelter.
- Project Director, Provincial/ Municipal Services Implementation Project, Ministry of Community and Social Services – Bob co-chaired a municipal-provincial task force review to identify opportunities to realign business processes for the delivery of social housing, child care and social assistance.
- Director of New Social Assistance Legislation Project, Ministry of Community and Social Services – Ontario’s social assistance system includes a Director named under the legislation. Bob held this challenging role for five years. During this time, many ongoing intersecting issues with social housing were addressed and Bob obtained an in-depth awareness of the client service challenges embedded in social housing, including the management of Centralized Wait Lists. Managed analysis of government options for response to an independent study of a conflicted, multi-billion-dollar social assistance system with a resulting $415M plan of improvements. Assembled and directed the multi-disciplinary team responsible for social assistance legislation, culminating in the first new legislation in thirty years.
- Director, Quality and Continuous Improvement, Ministry of Economic Development and Trade – Client service and continuous improvement are areas of deep interest to Bob. He developed an awareness of the practical usefulness of quality systems when he was the Director of Quality and Continuous Improvement in the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade.
- CAO, Fair Tax Commission, Ministry of Finance – As CAO, successfully brought a time-limited (three year) independent high-profile commission studying contentious public policy issues to conclusion within budget and on time.
- The Osborne Group
- Specialty Legal Clinics
- Region of Peel
- County of Frontenac
- Community Care Kawartha Lakes
- Ministry of Health and Long Term Care
- City of Guelph
- Ministry of Community and Social Services
- The Children’s Aid Society of the County of Bruce
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- YMCA Canada
- The Children’s Aid Society of Owen Sound and the County of Grey
- Kinark Child and Family Services
- City of Toronto
- Ministry of Children and Youth Services
- Responsible Gambling Council
- Ontario Multifaith Council on Spiritual and Religious Care
- Northumberland County
- Family Health Teams: Queen Lynch, East Wellington Advisory Group, Parry Sound, Burk’s Falls
- Project Director, Provincial/Municipal Services Implementation Project (Ministry of Community and Social Services)
- CAO of the Fair Tax Commission (Ministry of Finance)
- Director of Quality and Continuous Improvement (Ministry of Economic Development and Trade)
- Director of New Social Assistance Legislation Project (Ministry of Community and Social Services)
- University of Toronto – Bachelor of Commerce
- University of Toronto – Master of Business Administration
- Markland Wood Homeowners Association – Past Board Member
- Markland Wood Golf and Country Club – Former Member of Greens Committee
- Mississauga Halton Community Care Access Centre – Past Member – Board of Directors
- Specialized Courses (e.g. Institute of Corporate Directors Governance Essentials for Directors of Not- For-Profit Organizations)