Direction exécutive intérimaire
Providing interim executive leadership for your nonprofit when and where it’s needed
There are many reasons a nonprofit organization might need an interim executive, but it’s usually about filling some gap in leadership. Often, it’s a vacancy created by a resignation, termination or leave of absence. Sometimes, it’s because the organization is trying something new and doesn’t have the right skills internally or, the person with the necessary skills is already fully engaged with their regular responsibilities. It can be a strategic decision to bring in an external executive resource while the board determines what they need in a leader going forward. Sometimes it’s just filling the gap during the time it takes to fill the position permanently.
The Osborne Group offers extraordinary executive leadership at a reasonable price. Our principal consultants bring extensive, relevant senior management experience and practical, transferable skills to every assignment. They grasp situations quickly; develop customized solutions in collaboration with the client, and, from day one, do the hands-on work that gets desired results that meet the highest standard of quality. The most important responsibility for an organization is to take the necessary time and care to select the right executive director or senior leader in finance, human resources, operations, IT, property management or other roles.
We can help. We will provide an interim executive, conduct a focused search for a permanent replacement and provide leadership support and coaching as necessary.
The Osborne Team is comprised of highly skilled principals who have 20 or more years of varied business, non-profit or public-sector experience in at least 2 organizations, as well as 8 or more years at the executive level. We span a broad range of organizations, sectors and functional areas. We can fill interim CEO, COO, CFO, CIO, CHRO, SVP, VP, Executive Director and General Manager positions.
With their depth of experience, our principals can help your organization deal with challenges in:
- Strategy and Planning
- Human Resources
- Information Systems
- Marketing & Communications
- Sales Management & Training
- Organizational Design and Development
- Succession Planning
We provide flexible and affordable terms that fit the opportunity and budget. Interim or fractional positions are a cost-effective way to quickly inject experience and knowledge into your organization.
Here are some recent examples:
- At a start-up nonprofit that will provide a long-term residential treatment and recovery program, our interim executive director supported all aspects of administration, governance fundraising and the search for a permanent executive director.
- An agency providing employment for developmentally disabled adults benefitted from an Osborne interim executive who managed day to day operations and helped identify and explore merger or integration opportunities.
- One of our finance experts stepped in during the extended leave of absence of the senior finance officer at a national sports organization and assumed responsibility for all aspects of the finance, HR, IT and fundraising functions.
- Following the removal of the top leaders in three foster care agencies across Canada, an Osborne Group interim CEO took on responsibility for the transition of this established nonprofit to a new way of operating and significantly improved communications with the parent organization.
- While providing interim executive leadership, a small team of Osborne Group principals helped two supportive housing agencies through an amalgamation process, starting with due diligence and continuing through the implementation.
You can rely on Osborne Group interim executives to not only keep things running smoothly but to establish a solid foundation for the permanent executive to work from.
Contact us so we can recommend a proven executive to help you through a critical period.
The Osborne Group’s approach to executive recruitment differs from that of the large, specialized search firms. Our flexible and cost-effective recruitment services are customized to most effectively meet client needs. We work within available budgets and minimize costs by charging only for time spent on the assignment. As executive recruitment is not the single focus of our firm, we do not work from a proprietary database. Instead, we work closely with selection committees to leverage your organizational contacts as well as our own extensive contacts in the sector.
Our knowledge of diverse sectors and their unique challenges means we provide excellent support in virtually any situation, particularly during periods of change and transition.
We are committed to conducting a thorough, professional, inclusive and well-organized process.
Osborne Group principals bring extensive and deep experience to every role they take on. Whether in an interim capacity or as consultants, they draw on their career and life experience when providing executive support and leadership coaching. We can provide executive coaching and development plans for individuals dealing with specific challenges in their leadership roles.
This includes oversight and coaching on a variety of management tasks that are new to a senior executive such as:
- Balancing management, staff and board priorities
- Financial management, analyzing financial results, developing forecasts and budgets
- Human resources management
- Developing a new strategic plan, planning an integration or handling union issues.
Our leadership support, coaching and development often include the following:
- Working with the client to analyze the current state of the employee to be coached
- Helping the client and/or the employee identify areas that require developmental focus
- Determine a strategy to address the developmental focus areas
- Support the employee during the implementation of the strategy
Continuing consultation can be provided through face-to-face or virtual meetings or by email on issues. identified by the CEO or on previously unrecognized issues brought to the CEO’s attention by our principal.